Every single one of us need someone to nurture our spiritual growth. Jesus warned us to be very careful about picking a model to pattern our lives after. He said, “Can one blind person lead another? Won’t both fall into the same pit? A student is no better than his teacher. But everyone who is well-trained will be like his teacher.” We need to make sure we are following the right person or we may end up in the wrong place.
Six years ago a lady in our church wrote a letter to her spiritual family. She talked about the affect their lives had on hers.
I praise God constantly for the people who have put time aside in their lives to nurture my growth. If it had not been for all of you, I wouldn’t be who I am today. I just need to say thank you to those who saw in me potential and not just failures. Thank you for caring and letting God use you to minister to my life. Recently a word of knowledge came for me that said that I had come far because many tears had been shed on my behalf.
- Lois was the first person to pray with me at the altar the day I got delivered from my drug and alcohol addictions. She never asked me why I was at the altar but she obediently prayed for me. That was in August of 1986. I have never gone back to that life style since.
- Kathy was the person who touched my life at a Women’s Discipleship Walk. I learned that tears weren’t a sign of weakness but a source of healing. Kathy later became my LBF teacher and friend.
- Laura prayed for me and lead me to other people who could nurture me in areas that she could not. She drew me into the family of God and out of my safety zone.
- Carol and Carl opened their home to me where I was given the opportunity to step out in my gifts of tongues and interpretation.
- Jan opened my eyes to the Truth and I was set free. Her team fasted and prayed for me weekly. This is when I truly began to grow. Once I recognized my victims armor for what it was and replaced it with the armor of God, I was set free.
- Robby and Tracey didn’t hold back. They were brought into my life to teach me obedience. God used them to show me that He is the provider.
- Heather was the reason I was at church on a Wednesday night when God gave Pastor Ron a message that opened my eyes.
- Judy loved me into maturity. She runs after God daily and she has taken me by the hand and brought me through some difficult growing periods. She has shown me the true meaning of agape love. She is truly the epitome of total surrender to the service of God.
- Pastor Ron who glows with God’s anointing. The Word has been brought to life to me. The Word was hard for me to understand and therefore hard for me to read. He made it real and he gave me a hunger that comes from the anointing of God.
- Dorene who was there at the altar with me the day I got a fresh baptism of the Holy Spirit in my life. She did not know very much about me but touched me with God’s hands. I will never forget that day at the altar and the look on her face when she heard me crying out in tongues to God.
- Pastor Rob has given me direction and purpose when I had none. He puts up with my immaturity and tolerates my faults. He looked past the scared little girl and has seen the warrior inside.
- Pastor Gary, my friend and pastor. He continues to build me up and pour into my life the things that God has for me. His teachings make me think and give me the desire to want more. He has opened doors that I didn’t even know were there. He has given me direction and stability.
As I sit here, I realize that I have left out many people. I pray this simple prayer for all of you.
Dear Heavenly Father,
I thank You for caring enough for me to send these people into my life. Thank You God for caring enough to send them to me. For using their mouths to talk to me . . .their arms to hold me . . . their love to reach me and their words to nurture me. May You continue to bless them as they bless others. Increase their gifts.
Discipleship is never completed in a vacuum. If you are ever going to take it to the next level it will have to come through the power of relationships and mentoring. That’s why we believe so firmly in LIFE GROUPS. We think they provide the kind of mentoring relationships that give you someone to pattern your life after. For more about our Life Groups click here.
 Luke 6:39-40 GW